Monday, August 23, 2010

Oops I did it again...I messed up my hair.


Ever found yourself fighting back tears in the hairdresser's chair, determined not to let on how disappointed that the layers you requested make you look like you have a mullet? Ever found yourself in the shower frantically emptying the contents of an entire bottle of shampoo onto your head, hoping to fade your jet black hair to the 'chocolate brown' you were after?  We've all been there, we've all had to pull out the baseball hat, or bobby-pin back our too short bangs- it's the risk you run with any change. There's a chance it will turn out amazingly, or,  as my personal research shows, there's an equally probable chance that you will hate it.

I myself am a creature of habit, far too predictable for my own good. But, every now and then I will find myself bored with the status quo, itching for a change...this usually results in a trip to the drug store to buy myself some poor decisions. I've tweezed my eyebrows beyond recognition, ended up with bright blonde highlights instead of caramel, over applied fake tanner, making myself look more Jersey Shore, and less 'honey bronzed'. I've cut my own chest length hair into a bob, experimented with Sun-In, trusted the cashier in London Drugs who told me "....it won't turn up that red on your hair". I've made every mistake in the book--there's untagged proof somewhere out there in cyber space. 

Makeovers are a risky undertaking, the payoff could be big, or it could land you under house lock down- that's partially what makes it so exciting. That said, to err on the side of caution, solicit your friends' advice, or seek a professionals; you're more likely to be pleased with the results that way. I speak from experience when I say there is nothing worse than standing in your bathroom with a roller brush in one hand, and a blow-dryer in the other, wondering what the f*** have I done? 

A Girl's Guide to Getting out the Door

1. If you smile enough, there's a chance people won't even notice what is happening on your head; wear it with confidence, and a killer headband.

2. Do the math: two bottles of hair dye, and an emergency run to the hair salon later, you've wound up spending more money than had you just shelled out the cash in the first place. If you can rack up a $100 bar tab, don't proclaim you "can't afford to have your hair done". Prioritize, and get it done right the first time through. By a professional. 

3. Whatever the problem might be, London Drugs likely has the solution. Just don't ask the cashier for her opinion, you might end up with fuschia hair. 

4. Realize google is your best friend. A gazillion other people have probably made the same mistake, someone out there has to have the answer. 

5. When all else fails, remember, your tan will fade, you hair will grow, and your eyebrows will too. Don't beat yourself up about it, because as the quote goes, "it happens to the best of us". 

No comments:

Post a Comment