Monday, August 30, 2010

Take me the way I am

Thanks to a traffic jam, the regular 20 minute drive to Home Sense took my mum and I close to an hour, giving her just enough time to touch on everything from possible heath risks all the way up to men and relationships. She lost her train of thought right in the middle of "despite what I've shown you, good men do exist" and did a 360 attack into "so, what do have against the preppy look Em?" Taken off guard mid snooze, I didn't have enough time to formulate a better retort then, "uh, it's just not my style.....?". Unsatisfied, she pried again, ".....but it looks so good on you".  I snorted a half laugh, and rolled my eyes, signaling the conversation was over, and that there wouldn't be any further questions visa-ve this, but it got me thinking...

....what do I have against the preppy look? When it comes down to it, I certainly have nothing against Lacoste, loafers, or a button down shirt. And yes, I own Birkenstocks, tennis whites, and Ralph Lauren. But for lack of a better answer now, the quote on quote 'preppy look', just really isn't my style. Sure it works for my mum, the ladies golf team, and the Hampton's, but every time I try on a polo, or a string of pearls, I feel like an impostor.

I've been told my look is 'hobo-chic' --a definitive blend of homeless, and stylish. 9 times out of 10 I have a stain on my shirt, or a rip in my skirt. I don't own an iron, and wait until absolutely necessary to launder my clothes. I hate to brush my hair, and am lazy when it comes to shaving my legs. And while I own a fair share of designer duds, I prefer to shop at thrift stores. It kills my mother. 

The one time I dragged her to Value Village I was lectured the entire car ride home. The dialogue went something like this: "you know, I can't tell you how disappointed I am Emily...I would have thought I had raised a daughter to have standards... I just wish you would aspire to the finer things in life, not shop in a poor persons' store!" 

At the end of the day, taste is so subjective- it's not linked by genetics, or friendships- just because I like one thing doesn't mean my best friend, or sister is going to like it, and vice-versa. If we forget what's in "style" (according to Anna Wintour) everyone has a personal style, even the girl wearing pink velour Juicy sweats, a fake tan and acrylic nails, and the guy sporting the Ed Hardy t-shirt, rhinestoned jeans, and Gucci murse. 

Heck, I remember a time I was crazy for butterfly clips, Off the Wall, and white eye liner. A time where I owned a crimper, platform flip flops, and enough Roxy to make your head spin. So who knows, maybe there will be a time where I religiously carry around Tide-to-go, take my clothes to a dry cleaners, and have weekly blow outs. A time where I feel naked without my diamond tennis bracelet, where I catalogue order my clothes from J. Crew, and where I aspire to the 'finer things'. But for now, I refuse to feel like a wolf in sheep's clothing. 

A Girl's Guide to Owning Her Own Look

1. Separate what you like from what Glamour or Rachel Zoe tells you you should like. Maybe it's not cutting edge, and maybe no A-List celebrity would wear it, but so what? 

2. Your mum would probably prefer you in a more classical look, while your boyfriend would probably like it if you showed a little more cleavage. Forget what they think and wear what you feel comfortable in. It's your body after all; be pro-choice.

3. Experiment. Clothes give you the chance to take on whatever persona you might like: the hipster, the athlete, the vixen. Play around-- clothes are about as permanent as a middle school crush. 

4. Know your limit, play within it. Just because Rihanna can wear just about anything and look awesome, doesn't mean you should shave off half your hair, or wear MC Hammer pants. 

5. Remember that there is a time and a place for everything. Even I can recognize that dinner with the grandparents means a pencil skirt, cardigan, and talk of my future. Save the 4 inch heels and micro-mini for the bar. 

2 comments: