Friday, March 6, 2009

I Had a Dream....of Dresses


A couple of months ago, a friend of mine had a bunch of out-of-season dresses donated to her; in an effort to raise money for the Special Olympics, she decided to get them reworked by young Vancouver designers, auctioning off the resulting designs. 

So that, in a nutshell, is how "Dresses for Dreams" was born. Put on last night at a nightclub downtown, there was wine, there was food, and above and beyond all, there was fashion- in other words, a few of my favourite things.

I spent the evening working the Silent Auction, and thereby, in some twisted rational, took it upon myself to buy one of these custom creations - charitable of me I know. Needless to say, I got a very cute pink tiered dress for only $55; and no, for all you concerned citizens, I did not rig it. 

Call me biased, but I would say the event was a huge success; not only did it raise money for a charitable cause, and showcase local talent, but -for serious bonus points- served the most delicious mango, shrimp salad. Speaking of, after the platter I consumed, I should probably go put my sneakers on and go for a much needed run, or next thing you know, I won't even be able to fit this dress.

P.S. Math may not be my forte, but looks like that it now $61 out of my savings account (note below). Expect more damage this weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment